Differentiating a Thesis and a Dissertation
Before you finish your schooling and graduate, you have to write an exceptional thesis or dissertation. Although these two words are sometimes used in place for one another, they usually represent two distinct articles. A dissertation is typically a research paper that a student writes before they finish their undergrad program. A thesis, on the other hand, is generally written by those students on the doctorate or the Ph.D. level.
The purpose of these two documents is necessarily the same. This is because they are both used to examine a particular student’s capabilities in different academic fields. For instance, they are used to determine if students can conduct an extensive amount of research by themselves, analyze the collected material, and then use it to create a coherent document. Furthermore, they are also used to test the extent of knowledge that a student has concerning a given thesis or dissertation topic.
Developing a Good Thesis Outline
Before getting to see how one should go about creating their thesis outline, defining what a thesis outline is is very crucial. This is essentially a detailed description of all the major sections of your thesis documents. This means that your outline should eventually be a mirror image of your thesis. We should then take a look at the essentials of an excellent outline to see how to create a perfect thesis outline. Here is what a thesis outline should look like;
- Introduction – here, you are supposed to describe the major issue that the thesis is looking to address. The introduction part of your timeline should serve the purpose of informing your readers of the central theme of the paper.
- Literature overview – in this section of your outline, you are supposed to describe how the existing research in the area under study influences your theme. This is where you study any related texts and find the influence/sway they hold concerning your thesis statement.
- The thesis problem – your thesis problem is essentially what you are aiming at solving with your paper. Here, the student is required to show what contribution their thesis will give to their area of study. Understand that this is what makes your thesis relevant.
- Research methodology – in this section, you are supposed to show the method of data collection you will employ in the research phase. You are also required to prove why you think this model was the best way to collect data concerning your theme.
- Results – this is where you are supposed to present the findings of your thesis and give a vivid interpretation of the said results to the reader.
- Conclusion – here, only summarize your findings and remember that it is where you will get to answer your research questions.
When drafting this type of paper, it is vital to make sure that you choose that topic that you feel will impact your career field. This is important as this paper not only affects your chances of graduation; its effects resonate from school to the whole of your career life in general. Remember, this document will be examined in the future when you are hunting for a job. Therefore you have to ensure that you create a magnificent article.